Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Glaze
True red velvet taste in a crispy, sweet waffle. Don’t forget the cream cheese glaze!
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- Red food coloring (liquid or gel)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup – 1 cup whole milk
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Grease waffle iron and begin preheating.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar on low speed until well-combined. Add red food coloring (you want to add enough to achieve a red a couple shades darker than you actually want – the color will lightened when added to the dry ingredients).
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and still until combined. You can also add additional food coloring at this point if you desire, just mix gently.
- Cook waffles according to your iron and size. Generally, waffles are done when they stop steaming. Makes approximately 10-12 regular size waffles.
- For the glaze: Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy, a couple minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Start with ½ cup milk and add more to achieve desired consistency.
Recipe From http://notyourmommascookie.com
Cream cheese glaze from http://www.cookingclassy.com